Personal Support Worker
Course Code: 203
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) program provides a solid educational and practical learning environment for students who are looking to provide long-term care and support services in both institutional and community settings. Students will not only learn how to provide support for the comfort, safety and well-being of their clients, but also how to demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in their care.
This program provides a strong educational base for workers who provide long-term care and support services in both institutional and community settings. Students will learn how to assist people with the tasks of daily living. Personal Support Workers will learn how to develop a broad range of abilities beyond dexterity skills. They will learn how to provide not only for the comfort, safety and well-being of their clients, but also demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in their care.
The Personal Support Worker certificate Program from Sunview College provides the hands-on training, practical experience and professional support it takes to pursue a successful career in this rewarding field. Graduates of this program enter the professional world with confidence after learning from experience PSW professionals.
Program available in our Toronto and Brampton centers.
As a student in this program you’ll learn:
- Role of the Worker
- Assisting A Person With Mobility
- Proving Optimal Support/Care Planning
- Assisting The Family Cognitive Impairment and Mental Health Issues
- The Role of the Childcare Worker
- Assisting A Person With Medications
- Household Management and Meal Preparation Assisting
- The Person Who Is Dying First Aid and CPR NACC Certificate
Plus, you’ll complete a Clinical/Work Placement. You’ll learn first-hand in a real healthcare environment before you graduate. Employers will be impressed with your real-world experience and you’ll make valuable industry contacts while you get a feel for your new career.
Personal Support Workers can find employment in a number of positions including:
- Attendant for persons with disabilities – home care
- Family caregiver
- Home support worker
- Live-in caregiver – seniors
- Personal aide – home support
- Personal care attendant – home care
- Respite worker – home support
Salaries for PSW graduates range from $14/hr to $20/hr.
Main duties for people in this field could be:
- Care for individuals and families during periods of incapacitation
- Administer bedside and personal care to clients such as aid in ambulation, bathing and personal hygiene
- Plan and prepare meals and special diets, and assist in feeding clients
- Demonstrate infant care to new parents
- May perform routine duties such as changing non-sterile dressings, administering medications and collecting specimens under general direction
- May perform routine housekeeping duties
||Safety & Mobility
||Assisting with Personal Hygiene
||Abuse and Neglect
||Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
||Care Planning / Restorative Care / Documentation / Working in the Community
||Assisting the Family, Growth and Development
||Assisting the Dying Person
||Assisting a person with Medications
||Cognitive / Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
||Clinical Placement (Facility)
||Clinical Placement (Community)
- Applicant must be 18 years and above
- Applicants must pass the Wonderlic pre admission test (where there is no grade 12 or its equivalent), and the NACC literacy test (for those applying into the PSW Certificate program).
- Applicants must have a valid Standard CPR & First Aid (Level C) or can complete training during the program.
- Applicants must have a current cleared medical certificate or can submit within 45 days of commencement of program.
- Applicants must have cleared Vulnerable Police Certificate (Level 3) or can complete within 45 days of commencement of the program.
- Two character reference letters
Get the Support You Need to Launch a Successful Career
Career training isn’t about getting a diploma – it’s about getting a job you love. Our emphasis is on practicality. We believe that once concepts are understood in theory, your focus should be on the practical. By minimizing the amount of reading and increasing the hands-on practical experience, you will be better prepared to face workplace challenges with confidence. We provide practical approach and guidance for students looking to secure good placements in strong organizations in Canada and other countries. Financial Aid is available to those who qualify.
“I had a wonderful experience going back to studying after so many years. I had a great group of teachers and classmates. To end it all, I was given an excellent placement” – Edna Robinson – Sunview Medical Graduate
Is a Rewarding Personal Support Worker Career Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about career as a Personal Support Worker and exploring whether this is the right career path for you, fill out the form to learn more. A helpful Sunview College Admissions Counsellor would be happy to answer any questions you have and help with everything from scheduling to financial aid.